For Windows users “My Documents” is the most important folder. It is the default location for saving documents, Images, Media Clips etc. Most of the windows softwares choose this folder (or a sub-folder of “My Documents”) as their default data storing destination. The default location of My Document is ” C:Documents and Settings username My Documents ” i.e.; it is in the main windows drive. But, you can change this location to any other folder or, even a drive. The best idea would be assigning an entire partition of your hard disk for the purpose of My Documents.
By doing so:
- You will not miss your files even if you reinstall operating system.
- Hence, you don’t need to have backup before reinstalling your windows.
- Your files are safe from any possible system or OS failure.
- The My Documents folder would have a larger logically separate memory space quota.
- If you choose a portable drive for My Docs, you can carry all of your docs with you and can access them from other computers as well.
- Your files would be easily accessible from other OS installed on the same machine.
To change the target location of My Documents, just right-click on its icon and Select Properties, Navigate to Target Tab and select “Move”.